Districts of Extermination - exhibition in the Lublin Old Town
Marking the 75th anniversary of the liquidation of the German ghettos for Jews in Lublin, the exhibition “Districts of Extermination” consists of 15 display boards. They are located in the area of the Old Town where one of the two “Jewish residential districts” existed in the occupied city. The exhibition presents photographs and historical documents from Polish and foreign archives, as well as private collections and fragments of accounts.
In March 1941, German occupiers set up a ghetto for around 34,000 Jews in the Lublin district of Podzamcze. During its liquidation between March 16 and April 14, 1942, approximately 28,000 people were transported to the death camp in Bełżec. The surviving Jews were relocated to a newly established ghetto in the district of Majdan Tatarski. Eventually, it too was liquidated by the occupation authorities on November 9, 1942, and its residents were either murdered at the Majdanek and Sobibór death camps or shot to death in the nearby Krępiec forest.
Over the span of their existence, in the two ghettos and at the associated camps approximately 40,000 Jews lost their lives. The victims included residents of Lublin and the Lublin region, Jewish people relocated from Łódź, Kalisz, Sieradz, Cracow, and Warsaw, as well as a number of Czech and German Jews.
Concept and script: Krzysztof Banach
Editing and proofreading: Ewa Matłaszewska
Graphic design: Izabela Tomasiewicz
Preparation of materials/licenses: Lech Remiszewski
Historical consultation: Jakub Chmielewski, Marta Grudzińska
Translation: Witold Wojtaszko