In the initial period of the camp’s operation, its temporary offices, SS quarters and barracks of the camp staff were located in the city of Lublin. Camp command headquarters were located at 12 Ogrodowa street, the guards were quartered inside the building of A & J Vetter school in Bernardyńska street, and higher ranking officers in houses located in the vicinity of the camp itself.
Construction works on the barracks and command headquarters complex located within camp grounds started in July 1942 and continued until the spring of 1943. The main part of the complex occupied the area between the road to Chełm and the prisoner camp. In that period, 37 barracks were erected, which apart from living quarters also housed offices, military equipment storage, baths, barber’s shop, infirmary, eatery, casino, as well as garages and fueling station for SS vehicles.
The SS segment also extended to certain buildings located in other parts of the camp: barrack no. 38 was adapted as accommodation for female camp staff and offices of the women’s camp, while barrack no. 39 housed the offices of the prisoner camp.
A prewar brick building known as the “white cottage” was initially assigned to the camp physician, and later to the head of the prisoner section.
The camp commandant occupied a house next to the road to Chełm (present-day Droga Męczenników Majdanka street).
Between 1942 and 1943 a total of 21 barracks were erected in the workshop field with the aim of providing services for the camp itself as well as the SS garrison in Lublin:
barracks no. 43–44 – storehouses for prisoner belongings,
barrack no. 45– camp stables
barracks no. 46–47 – food storage
barracks no. 48–50 – storehouses for prisoner clothing
barracks no. 51–52 – storehouses for maintenance equipment and tools
barracks no. 53–55 – woodworking shop, wood yard
barrack no. 54 – forge and ironworks
barrack no. 55 – electrical shop
barrack no. 62 – shoemaking shop
barrack no. 63 – sewing shop
barrack no. 64 – guard canteen
The prisoner camp covered an area of 30.6 ha. It consisted of five primary prisoner fields on which a total of 108 barracks were erected, as well as two mid-fields. Field 6 also exited but construction works in that area were completed too late and ultimately it was never occupied by the prisoners. Several of the barracks were used for storage of footwear confiscated from the victims of Majdanek and “Aktion Reinhardt”.
The entire area was surrounded by two rows of live barbed wire fencing. A watch tower stood on every corner of each of the fields. Apart from barracks serving as prisoner quarters, each field housed two L shaped barracks used as kitchens and shower rooms. The roll-call square was located in the centre of the camp, surrounded by the respective prisoner fields.
Field 1 housed 20 prisoner barracks erected between the autumn of 1941 and early 1942.
Initially, the field was used for internment of Soviet POWs and in later periods of civilian prisoners. From late 1941, an infirmary operated here, which in 1942 gradually extended to the entire northern line of carracks (no. 1–10). In September 1943, in the process of camp reorganization, the men’s infirmary was relocated to field 5 and the women’s infirmary to field 1. After the evacuation of female prisoners in 1944, the field was once again occupied by men.
Middle field 1
The area separating fields 1 and 2 was occupied by the washhouse and drying room. It also housed a two-chamber, oil-fueled crematorium and a repository for victims’ bodies.
In operation since the spring of 1942. It housed 22 prisoner barracks. Initially, it quartered Jews from Poland and abroad, Poles from the Lublin Region, and Soviet POWs. In May 1943, the area of field 2 was converted into a hospital for Soviet war invalids and remained outside of the camp commander’s jurisdiction.
In field 3, prisoners were quartered in stable-type barracks that lacked windows and the only source of sunlight was provided by roof skylights. After May 1942, Polish hostages were quartered in the barracks, and after January 1943, they housed political prisoners of various nationalities. For several weeks in July 1943, the families of deportees from the Zamość Region were also quartered here. Barracks no. 1 and 2 were used as garages. After the liquidation of the camp, in August 1944, soldiers of the Home Army and Peasants’ Battalions were interned in the barracks by the NKVD.
In operation since August 1942. Men of various nationalities were interned in stable-type barracks. Between 1943 and 1944, the barracks on the right-hand side of the field housed brush-making and basketry shops and were fenced off from the rest of the field.
Middle field 2
In operation since July 1942. It was located between fields 4 and 5 and housed a coal and firewood yard. Between May and August 1943, the first contingents of Jews arriving from the ghettos were quartered here. In later periods, the barracks were occupied by Sonderkommando prisoners.
Construction works on the prisoner barracks in this field commenced in September 1942. Until September 1943, the field housed a women’s camp and from March 1943 children were also interned here. In September 1943, the women were relocated to field 1 and field 5 was reorganized as men’s infirmary with a newly erected clinic building. After the evacuation of KL Lublin prisoners, between May and July 1944, the field housed a Wehrmacht work camp.
Other camp facilities included:
Mass execution ditches