As part of the discussion on Majdanek as a place of memory of World War II, we would like to provide you with an article by dr. Tomasz Kranz, director of the State Museum at Majdanek, published in 2015 in the volume "Lublin Places of Memory in Public and Educational Space" (edited by A. Ausz et al.).
Directors and officers of the Detention Ward in Krasnystaw and Prison in Opole Lubelskie participated in workshops “Perpetrators of Majdanek. Common people or fanatic murderers?” which were held at the State Museum at Majdanek on 23 and 30 January 2018.
During the two-day celebration of the International Holocaust Remembrance Day, the State Museum at Majdanek commemorated the murdered Jews.
On January 18, 2018, the State Museum at Majdanek and Stanisław Staszic High School in Lublin began the implementation of another joint venture, which aims to popularize knowledge about the history of KL Lublin among young people
A report on the activities of the State Museum at Majdanek in 2017 has already been published. You will find there the most important events held by the Museum, accomplishments and information on the collections.
Once again, The State Museum at Majdanek joins the celebration of the International Holocaust Remembrance Day.
The number of people who visited the State Museum at Majdanek in the last five years increased by nearly 50%. In 2017, 239,149 people came to the institution.
75 years ago, on a frosty morning on January 25, 1943, the residents of Dziesiąta village were woken up by German shouts, banging on the door with rifle butts and barking dogs. The pacification of their small homeland began. They were given only several minutes to take the most necessary things. Then they were placed on carts and taken to the Majdanek concentration camp, which they had been viewing through the windows of their houses.
The State Museum at Majdanek took part in the “Accessible Culture” programme of the Ministry of Culture and National Heritage for the third time. This year, 101 groups of primary and secondary school students from all over Poland participated in the free museum lessons organized by the Majdanek Museum and Memorial Site in Bełżec.
A vital part of the Museum collections are prayer books found on the grounds of the Majdanek camp shortly after its liquidation in 1944. Eight of them were analyzed and restored recently, including pocket diary with handwritten notes in French.
The mound with ashes of the victims of the German concentration camp, located in the Mausoleum, underwent conservation commissioned by the State Museum at Majdanek.
On the grounds of the former German Nazi death camp in Sobibór the construction works planned in 2017 related to the creation of the Museum - Memorial Site in Sobibór, a branch of the State Museum at Majdanek, came to an end.
The State Museum at Majdanek has been honoured with the St. Maximilian Kolbe Medal. The initiator of this honour is the Parish of St. Maximilian Kolbe and the Collegium of Social Service Workers in Lublin.
We are proud to announce that the publication "Majdanek w dokumentach" [Majdanek in Documents] received the Paweł Konrad’s Laurel award in the category Lublin - monograph in the contest "The Book of the Year."
The Museum at Majdanek has accomplished conservation of another group of relics found on the grounds of the former German Nazi death camp in Sobibór.
On 5 December, the director of the State Museum at Majdanek, dr Tomasz Kranz, and the director of the Stanisław Staszic High School No. 1 in Lublin, Stanislaw Stoń, signed a cooperation agreement. It involves the implementation of joint ventures in the field of history education and enables high school students to take part in a voluntary service at the Museum.
Maria Buko and Katarzyna Madoń-Mitzner, co-authors of the book "Przetrwałam. Doświadczenia kobiet więzionych w czasach nazizmu i stalinizmu" [I Did Survive. Experiences of Women Imprisoned in the Times of Nazism and Stalinism], were guests of the Majdanek Museum. On 17 November, they discussed their work at the publication. The host of the meeting was Marta Grudzińska.
“The Saint” – this is how Wanda Ossowska, a prisoner of the concentration camp at Majdanek, was described by her fellow prisoners. The commemoration of this remarkable character was held on November 14, 2017, as part of the All Souls’ Day at Majdanek.
On 8 November on one of the building at Wrońska Street 2 plaques commemorating the victims of the former German Nazi labour camp at the so-called Flugplatz and the functioning of the pre-war E. Plage and T. Laśkiewicz Mechanical Plants were unveiled. It was a joint initiative by the State Museum at Majdanek in Lublin, the “Brama Grodzka – Teatr NN” Centre and "Wschód" SA company.
Over 18 thousand Jews were murdered in the camp at Majdanek on 3 November 1943. It was the biggest execution by shooting in the history of German Nazi concentration camps. On Friday, the State Museum at Majdanek was the place where people paid tribute to those who were murdered. The opening of a new museum exhibition was also held.
Since 3 November 2017, a new temporary exhibition can be watched in the Visitor Service Centre. Curators of the exhibition "Drawings on the Scraps of Life. The Extermination of Jews in the Lublin Region in the Józef Richter's Sketches" are Krzysztof Banach and Lech Remiszewski. Opening of the exhibition was held on the 74th anniversary of the "Bloody Wednesday" during which on November 3, 1943 more than 18,000 Jews were murdered at Majdanek.
The State Museum at Majdanek and the Provincial Police Headquarters in Lublin established long-term cooperation which resulted in another seminar at the memorial site.
On October 10, 1942 the German occupation authorities carried out a police action in the Dziesiąta district. As a result, many people were detained and about 150 were imprisoned behind the barbed wire of the concentration camp at Majdanek. On the 75th anniversary of those events, the State Museum at Majdanek organised an education project for the youth whose aim was to commemorate the victims of the pacification.
On October 2 the temporary exhibition “Res non humana – inhuman thing. The German occupation of the Zamość Region 1939-1944” prepared by the Museum – Memorial Site in Bełżec was made available for the visitors of the Tomaszów Lubelski Cultural Center.