74th anniversary of KL Lublin liquidation
A Mass for the victims of the German Nazi concentration camp at Majdanek started the 74th anniversary of KL Lublin liquidation. It was participated by the former camp prisoners and representatives of the local authorities.
During the Holy Mass presided by Father Józef Siemczyk in the Saint Maximilian Kolbe Parish in Lublin, Zdzisław Badio – head of the Lublin branch of the Polish Association of Former Political Prisoners of Nazi Prisons and Concentration Camps took floor. He highlighted the importance of passing to next generations the knowledge on such killing sites as Majdanek.
The next item in the agenda was a presentation prepared by Łukasz Mrozik from the State Museum at Majdanek. It was devoted to the first reactions of people who visited Majdanek shortly after the camp liquidation.
At the end of the ceremony, Paweł Passini from the Jewish Community of Warsaw and Father Marek Sapryga from the Saint Maximilian Kolbe Parish in Lublin said prayers for the dead. Participants also paid tribute to the victims at the Mausoleum by laying down flowers and lighting candles.
The evacuation of prisoners of the concentration camp at Majdanek lasted since March 1944. In July, there were still almost one thousand former Red Army soldiers, several hundred prisoners of the concentration camp and one and a half thousand inhabitants of rural regions near Lublin. The final liquidation of the camp occurred in the afternoon on 22 July. About 800 people were taken out of Majdanek under escort of SS officers and after a few days’ march they were loaded in Ćmielów into a train to Auschwitz. The armies of the 1st Belorussian Front entered the area of the camp several hours later, during the ongoing fights for Lublin.