New temporary exhibition ‘Space of memory – the topography of KL Lublin and the area of the State Museum at Majdanek’
From September 29, the latest temporary exhibition can be seen in the Visitor Service Center at the State Museum at Majdanek. It is devoted to changes in space in which the German Nazi concentration camp was located during the war. Moreover, a lecture prepared for the vernissage by one of the exhibition's authors, Krzysztof Tarkowski, was dedicated to transformations of the area.
The exhibition includes 13 maps and plans, 22 photographs and documents, and 14 visualizations made with the use of water colour technique. They illustrate, among others, why the historical part of the building substance of the former camp was destroyed and which elements were preserved in the spatial shape of the memorial site.
In the autumn of 1941, in the eastern suburb of occupied Lublin, the Germans started the construction of the concentration camp. During the next almost three years, approximately 150 thousand Jews, Poles, citizens of the Soviet Union, and other groups of prisoners went through Konzentrationslager Lublin. In total, about 80 thousand people lost their life. Throughout its existence, until liquidation on July 22, 1944, the camp was subject to the systematic expansion and planning changes which were closely related to the economic, extermination, and military policy of Nazi Germany in the occupied Lublin region. The space of the camp changed also after the liberation of Lublin from the German occupation and the creation of the State Museum at Majdanek in November 1944. The contemporary landscape of the Museum does not cover the whole area of the former KL Lublin and is the outcome of several post-war concepts of its development.