rozwiń menu główne

15.12.2017

Preservation of the mound with ashes

The mound with ashes of the victims of the German concentration camp, located in the Mausoleum, underwent conservation commissioned by the State Museum at Majdanek.

The work lasted seven days and involved covering the mound with waterglass – a special substance which, after evaporation of water, solidifies leaving a semitransparent and firm layer. It protects the monument but does not infringe its form. Such treatment is repeated systematically every few years.

The mound was created in 1947. It was built from mixed-up ashes of the murdered found in 15 heaps located on the premises of the former camp. In 1969, the ashes of Majdanek’s victims were placed in the Mausoleum. On the frieze of its dome, the creator of the monument, Wiktor Tołkin, engraved the message: "Let our fate be a warning to you."

After full zooming use arrows keys to change image and ESC key to close zoom

  • Zoom image:
  • Zoom image:
  • Zoom image:
  • Show larger image above:
  • Show larger image above:
  • Show larger image above:

Communities

polski

english