rozwiń menu główne


The 75th anniversary of the pacification of the village of Dziesiąta

75 years ago, on a frosty morning on January 25, 1943, the residents of Dziesiąta village were woken up by German shouts, banging on the door with rifle butts and barking dogs. The pacification of their small homeland began. They were given only several minutes to take the most necessary things. Then they were placed on carts and taken to the Majdanek concentration camp, which they had been viewing through the windows of their houses.

Krzysztof Tarkowski from the archives of the State Museum at Majdanek will discuss the unknown details of that action and will present the related documents on January 20, at 11 a.m., ahead of the 75th anniversary of the pacification of the village of Dziesiąta. After the lecture, there will be an opportunity to visit the exhibitions and get acquainted with the topography of the camp. Participation in the event is free of charge and the lecture will take place at the Visitor Service Center.

- We will recall events from the end of 1942 regarding the planning of the action, pacification itself, its basis, course and effects. By recalling those days, we want to enable and facilitate understanding of the tragedy experienced by farmers from the village of Dziesiąta, who were detained in the camp - says the initiator of the project Krzysztof Tarkowski.

German military units displaced the residents of the village of Dziesiąta from buildings on the road to Głusk on the side of the Majdanek camp. They checked the identities of the detainees and sent back children and women as well as men employed in German institutions who were useful to the Germans. The others were detained in the camp. At least 11 men out of approximately a hundred detained lost their lives in the camp. The remaining detainees were released after about two months. - I remember the moment when on January 25, 1943, at 3.30 a.m. Germans pacified the village of Dziesiąta at -30 degrees and during heavy snowfall. My mother Maria Studzińska, her employee who worked on the farm, Mrs. Eugenia Tatara, Sebastian Cyprian, who died in the camp and my uncle Antoni Kozak, who also died at Majdanek, were the members of my family taken to the camp. My sister, my brother and I left home on the previous day and went to our family. [...] My mother Maria Studzińska was released after two weeks. When the residents returned home after being displaced, their whole live and dead stock was requisitioned, namely 10 cows, 4 heifers, 5 horses, 5 pigs and poultry. All agricultural tools, furniture and bedding were also confiscated - mentioned Edward Kozak in a report submitted on March 27, 2006.

After full zooming use arrows keys to change image and ESC key to close zoom

  • Zoom image:
  • Show larger image above: