Unveiling of the memorial plaque commemorating the victims of the labour camp at Flugplatz
On 8 November on one of the building at Wrońska Street 2 plaques commemorating the victims of the former German Nazi labour camp at the so-called Flugplatz and the functioning of the pre-war E. Plage and T. Laśkiewicz Mechanical Plants were unveiled. It was a joint initiative by the State Museum at Majdanek in Lublin, the “Brama Grodzka – Teatr NN” Centre and "Wschód" SA company.
This building was part of the factory of Emil Plage and Teofil Laśkiewicz. Founded in 1921, it manufactured the first Polish aircraft. The airplanes named "Lublin" were constructed under the direction of engineer Jerzy Rudlicki. The works were nationalized in 1935 as the Lublin Aircraft Factory and operated until 1939. During the German occupation a labour camp for Jews and, initially, small groups of Poles was located in the area of the former factory airfield. Between 1942 and 1943, as part of the Third Reich's plan to exterminate the Jews (“Aktion Reinhardt”), the site was the central sorting facility for property of the victims murdered in Nazi death camps in Bełżec, Sobibór and Treblinka. On November 3, 1943, the Jewish prisoners of Flugplatz were shot at the concentration camp at Majdanek.