rozwiń menu główne

Daily routine

Depending on the season, the day at KL Lublin started at 5 or 6 am. Prisoners were required to quickly get dressed, make their plank beds and eat their morning meal which consisted of a cup of black chicory coffee without sugar, infusion of weed or watered down soup with some wholemeal flour.

Meals were served in rusty and battered tin cans or tin cups and bowls. No spoons, forks, knives or bottles for the children were allowed. Apart from meals, the same containers had to be used for cleaning and washing. Until October 1943, regardless of the weather conditions, prisoners were not allowed inside the barracks during meals.

After the meal, the morning roll-call started, for which all the sick and dying, as well as the bodies of those who had died during the night had to be carried out. Small children were also required to participate in the roll-calls. Once the inmates had been counted, work groups called commandos were formed and the prisoners were escorted to their work duties.

In the afternoon the dinner break was ordered, during which every prisoner received a ladle of watered down soup, in the summer made from pigweed or leaf cabbage, in the winter from rotten rutabaga, which contained no fat or salt. The leaves and stalks that constituted the only substantial item on the menu were usually undercooked and mixed with sand and dirt. Around 1 pm, prisoners returned to work.

The evening roll-call started at 6 pm in the summer and 4.30 pm in the fall and winter. It usually lasted between 2 and 3 hours but if a transgression was discovered or a prisoner was found missing, they could even continue through the night. After the roll-call, prisoners received supper which consisted of a slice of bread or several unpeeled potatoes and the same drink they received for breakfast. Twice a week, they also received a slice of horsemeat sausage, a small helping of beetroot preserve or margarine. In total, the daily food ration provided approximately 1,000 calories.

9 pm was the light-out hour after which leaving the barracks was prohibited.