Order to establish the camp
During his visit to Lublin in July 1941, Heinrich Himmler gave the order to establish a camp in Lublin. He ordered to build a camp for 25–50.000 Soviet POWs in the south-eastern outskirts of Lublin.
The construction was commissioned to the SS Central Construction Board. The prisoners were supposed to work in the construction of a large housing estate for the SS, Clothing and Supplies Factories, and after their completion they were to be employed in production and in the workshops of the camp. After giving the instructions for the camp establishment, Heinrich Himmler gave the order to SS-Standartenführer Karl Otto Koch, the former commandant of the Buchenwald concentration camp, to take up organisational matters of newly emerging camp.